Saturday, September 30, 2006

Day 14-16: A, B, C, D....

Another weekend and another quiet few days for the patients. Glad to say, Dad was looking better and better. We'd brought in some of his own pyjamas to schlep around in. The bottoms are quite short. Together with his white stockings, he actually looked like a gentleman from 18th Century England!

While I was visiting, I noticed patient B next to dad sort of signalling with his eyes. Patient B is unable to speak properly and is stuck in his chair with a pipe going into his stomach. He was trying to motion to his table. I thought I'd be a bit helpful and asked if I should move it. Unsure of the response, I moved it towards him.

He still didn't seem to be happy, so I asked one of the nurses if they could see him. The problem with aphaysia is that the other person is just guessing what is meant. And the nurses are busy. So the conversation goes something like: Nurse: "How's it going, B? Everything OK? Yes? Good." Exit nurse. The patient meanwhile is trying to signal with eyes, slight hand movements or struggling to make sounds. Patient B still didn't seem happy.

Then from behind I heard the jolly accented voice of patient A merrily saying, "A, B, C, D, E, F, G...." How bizarre. I turned around and saw him reading from the alphabet chart which usually belongs to patient B. I looked at patient B's table and saw there was a cup of water. Patient B is 'nil by mouth'. It looked like the tables had been accidentally switched. I told the nurse.

I guess it sounds quite trivial, except suppose patient B had taken the water on his table or somebody had given it to him? Nil by mouth - what a strange and slightly menacing expression.

Our consultant has been quoted giving advice on strokes in one of the national newspapers. That's reassuring!

When I put my dad to bed on Sunday night he told me to get one of the nurses to help. So I returned with one of our favourite nurses but when we got there, he was already in bed! He'd managed to clamber in by himself. He was very pleased with himself, but again, needless to say, it's a potentially dangerous situation.

On Monday, one of the physios asked if dad would like to participate in a hand 'survey' (i.e. experiment). With the proviso that no CAT scan would be involved (as they freak dad out), we think we're going to agree.

No comments: