Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Day 29: Complaints!

It's been almost a month now since dad had his stroke. Neither of us were in the best of moods. When I arrived, he told me that he hadn't wanted a wash again that morning until after he'd been to the loo. The two nurses had been 'very rude', he said and he'd mentioned this to the physio M who massages his hands. Physio M immediately went to the head nurse who made the two nurses come over and apologise to dad. "I was very embarrassed," he told me.

I'm not sure what to make of this. I feel a bit mad at myself for not complaining myself when my dad claimed the nurses had been rude. On the other hand, didn't one of the nicer nurses tell me that to complain would make it hell for us? The flip side is that my dad's bad hearing and - I have to be frank - a tendency towards stubborness, can cause a whole host of misunderstandings, of perceived rudenesses on both sides.

Dad was also mad at me for mentioning his 'blurred vision' to the doctor. He doesn't want them told because he "would rather die than stay here any longer."

I went back home to clean the place up. Dad's due for a home visit with the OT soon, plus somebody from the council is coming to assess his needs. It's all very new to us this.

Mum told me later that Dad had passed a physio test. He now had 'Ind.' written on his physio chart - if he wants to, he can walk around independently without anybody helping him! This is fantastic news to round off a rather strange day.

No comments: