Friday, January 26, 2007

Day 51 - 55: what's an organism?

I went away for a few days up north to see my husband. For many weeks now we've been living apart, him back at his dad's and me back down here in London. He's been very understanding about the situation, but now and then has to remind me that I'm a wife as well as a daughter.

When I came back, dad was OK. The following day he was quite depressed - "melancholy" is how he put it - and just watched TV. Everyday he takes senna so that he can go to the loo in the morning. If he can't go, he'll grab a suppository. Can't be good for you taking laxatives every day.

But then the day after there was a huge difference. We went for lunch at Nandos and then grabbed a trolley at Sainsburys which dad used for steadying himself around the store. He loved being there and filled the trolley with loads of goodies - which I had to put a halt to or I'd never've been able to get them home.

Later, he internetted and went to the Stroke Association site. There was a Q & A session where somebody had written: "my doctor has told me I cannot have another orgasm or it could bring another stroke". My dad read out the question to me, except he pronounced 'orgasm' as 'organism', then innocently asked what the question meant.

Actually, I think he knew precisely what it meant - so mischievous.

No comments: