Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Day 71 - 75: Back in BKK

So, after 2 months, I'm back in Bangkok, hoping dad will be able to recover from his stroke by himself. Well with mum's help at least.

Do I feel guilty? Of course I do. But I also think that dad could possibly recover better without my constant fussing and bad temper.

Before I left, our ebay wheelchair arrived. One of the interesting things about buying disability equipment is that you don't have to pay the 17.5% VAT. Anyhow, the wheelchair is smart. It's light, easy to manoevre and easy to fold up.

I took dad out for a quick spin. Well it halves the time that it would take if I accompanied dad out walking. Of course, he should still practise his walking. I guess one of the most frustrating things is that now the wheelchair's arrived, there's nobody to push him around in it.

It was mid-Autumn festival, so we all had dinner in Chinatown. Dad was a bit subdued but I think he enjoyed it. Mother-in-law was there too. She's ever so sweet and kept inviting dad to come over and stay at her cottage in France.

We had to leave for Heathrow in the morning. It's better than hanging around. I'd written a letter to dad to remind him of his exercises, and how much progress he's made and how he must keep fighting.

Now that I'm in Bangkok, mum and dad phoned to say that the letter had made them cry. Dad says he feels OK. Good - it's one of those nasty Chinese days today.

No comments: