Thursday, February 22, 2007

Day 76 - 82: poor Patient J

Mum told me that dad and I had got a letter. She opened it without dad seeing and found out it was from the step-daughter of Patient J. He used to be in the bed next to dad's at the hospital. The step-daughter used to visit every morning just like me.

It turns out that poor Patient J passed away a few weeks ago. He was getting better and then unfortunately had another attack and died. Poor patient J.

We've decided not to tell dad. It would get him very depressed.

Other news: dad's short term memory is a little muddled. He misplaced his credit card and mum was all in a tizz looking for it. Finally she called up the credit card company and they cancelled it. Then dad found his card on his desk.

Here in Bangkok, things are OK. But I'm looking at all the ramshackle pavements and all the roadworks, all the high curbs and dangerous holes. And I'm thinking: there's no way we'd get dad's wheelchair going around these streets. How do disabled people cope in Bangkok? Well, I guess they don't. Many are plonked on the streets by mafia gangs and stay there begging for pennies.

No comments: