Thursday, November 02, 2006

Day 36: Losing it!

Sometimes ignorance is bliss, especially when abroad and far away from home affairs. Been enjoying my time in France, but had niggling worries about dad. Phoning in on the day dad got discharged certainly brought home affairs racing back to me.

"I'm sorry," mum said, not sounding sorry at all. "But I lost my temper with your father today." Apparently, she had skipped lunch and fetched him from the hospital. As soon as he got home, dad wanted to watch his DVDs on the telly and was reaching forward to fiddle with something, and fell onto the floor. That's when my mum screamed at him for being so selfish, for not just waiting and being patient, for just want to watch his DVD ("may as well be back in the hospital!"). She began throwing things, breaking my dad's headphones and even - oh dear - a photo of their beloved grandchild.

I talked to dad. He sounded terrible. Tired and expressionless. I felt terrible too. How could I leave just as dad was getting out of hospital? How could I leave mum to cope by herself?

No comments: