Sunday, November 05, 2006

Day 37: Brother

Still in France. Spoke to mum and guess what? My dad's younger brother in Chengdu - at the same time as my dad was in hospital - had a problem with his speech. Some kind of impediment which has cleared up now, but could it have been a minor stroke? His family never told us. I guess they didn't want us to be doubly worried. My uncle also suffers from the same eye problems that my dad had before his stroke. He should have a check up but I wonder how good Chinese hospitals are?

At least mum and dad sounded more chirpy on the phone. Dad had lost the depressed, sleepy tone of yesterday and told me about the carer who had come this morning to help him wash. She was from Nigeria. Some pople had also come from social services to check that the carer was OK. Dad also had some equipment delivered to help him around the house: two high stools with a slightly angled seat, a frame around the toilet, and a bench across the bath.

I'm impressed by the co-ordination of care: the equipment sent in on time, the carer put in place on time... but I have a feeling we are extremely lucky to live in the borough that we do.

No comments: